- Download and install the Translation Template Extractor (POTX).
- Use POTX to extract from the installed module a .pot template, that is, a file that includes the untranslated strings in english.
- Download and install POEdit, the most common string translator.
- Use POEdit to create, from the extracted .pot template, the French version of the strings, a file with the .po extension.
- Use the locale module to import the new .po file so that the module’s interface appears in french
- Create a translations within your the folder of your module, e.g. example/translations
- As a base for other translations, place the .pot file (example.pot) which you created in step 2. above within the translations folder. example/translations/example.pot
- Place the extracted .po from step 4. there as e.g. fr.po for a french translation, too. example/translations/fr.po
tips, thoughts and technicalities